Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Optimism



I've been thinking a lot lately about my personal outlook on life, which I'd like to think is fairly on the "glass half full" side of things, but of course, I too have bad days and chunks of time where I feel very.."meh.." for lack of a better term.

I know I am effected by weather - as cliche' as it sounds - but honestly, when it's below 10 degrees for weeks on end, it's pretty difficult to stay motivated. We recently had a glimpse of spring. For a solid week it was above freezing! We were rockin' a solid 50 degrees for nearly two days. Two whole days! For those of you who've never had to deal with sub-zero temperatures, let me tell you, 50 degrees is a BIG deal.

Don't forget that I said we had a "glimpse" of spring, for it didn't stay warm for very long. We are now back to the land of snow and ice, but that one glorious week of warmth re-awakened something in me: Motivation.

I recently found this article (*see photo above) which got me to thinking more about my outlook on life and it gave me a great idea.

For the next month (or however long this winter decides to stick around) I'm going to post something positive that's happened to me on a daily basis. I'm putting a cap on a month long period of time because for me to say I'll do this FOREVER is just not realistic.

I've seriously been lacking in my blog-posting as well as simply doing anything worth posting (drawing, picture taking, Friday Fundays.. etc.) so this is my plan to remedy the winter blues. Even if it's something as seemingly small as finding an awesome parking spot or hearing a funny joke on the morning radio show. I just want to take the time to be grateful for wonderful things and reaffirm positivity by illustrating or photographing happy moments.

For my first Optimism Post:
Today I've officially booked a booth for this year's Art-A-Whirl! (May 20-22nd, 2011) I'm pretty stoked about it.



For those unfamiliar, Art-A-Whirl is a massive open studio / art sale / street festival in NE Mpls. I will be outside behind the Modern Cafe and 311 Club.

I've never participated in an outdoor art sale before, so it will certainly be a learning experience. Anyone who has any fail-safe advice, I'm all ears! I've been researching other blogs for tips and I've found some really great ones: THIS ONE is great for display ideas. THIS ONE has great overall advice.

I'm really excited for the opportunity to reach a much wider audience (like thousands more..!) And talk about motivation to make new work! I have a lot of work to do in the next couple of months, that's for sure.

Well I'm off, but not for long! Check back for tomorrow's Optimism Post.

Cheers,
Karen

No comments: