Sunday, March 28, 2010

Stillwater, MN

Last weekend, for a Friday Funday adventure, I visited Stillwater, MN for the second time in my life with a few close friends.






I really need to visit more often as it is really a beautiful and historic little town, and only about 40 minutes outside of the city. It's a great "staycation" destination if I do say so myself.



It was a bit cold and overcast the day we went, but no less enjoyable. Perhaps even more so as it wasn't overly crowded. Unfortunately, we couldn't get near the river because the water was so high the city closed it off incase of flooding.



We spent the day wandering around the various shops. My personal favorite is a little boutique called Rose Mille.



This shop is the epitome of sweet. There are so many florals and frills and cute little vintage things that all have their own special place. It may be craft heaven. haha. But in all seriousness, if I sewed more (ok, if at all) that would be the place to go. I just like browsing through the endless amounts of goodies that shop holds. I could easily spend an hour in there pawing over everything. Somehow, it's like antique shop meets hobby store, and equals pure gold.











Perhaps I've gushed too much. I think you should just check it out for yourself!

We took a break from shopping (and the bitter wind) to warm up in the car and explore more of Stillwater than just what's on the main street. There are so many beautiful Victorian homes it's unreal. I snagged a few photos off of google image search to share, because it turns out trying to snap photos out of moving vehicle does not produce the best results.. haha.







After a day full of shopping and sight-seeing, we stopped for dinner at a 1950's diner, which has actually been there since the 1950s. Leo's Grill is the best place if you're in the mood for an old school burger, fries and malt. And may I say F-You Dairy Queen, which is literally across the street? Talk about below the belt. Leo's is far superior.







All in all it was an excellent Friday Funday. I would definitely recommend a visit to Stillwater for anyone who has never been and for those who haven't been in some time. It's such a great way to get out of the city without having to spend all day traveling to feel like you're someplace new.

No comments: