Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!



This fall hasn't been the best for me as far as Holiday's go. I missed everything to do with Halloween - the pumpkins, the haunted houses, the Zombie Pub Crawl, the costumes, the parties, the costume parties... and today I missed Thanksgiving. The Irish don't celebrate this particular holiday, as I'm sure all of you know.
I just got home from working 13 hours.

Then I realized, this is the first Thanksgiving I have ever missed. Last year's was a little weird too because I didn't go home to the fam, and although we were eating with new friends, (who just so happen to be amazing chef's,) the food wasn't what I had hoped for. I'm a turkey, mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie kind-a-gal. And Olives. Lots and lots of olives. Instead we had an array of fancy Hors d'oeuvres, pickled carrots, sausages, lard-encrusted turkey and mini peacan pies. Don't get me wrong, it was delicious, just different...

So then I got to thinking, is that all Thanksgiving is about now? Eating turkey and mashed potatoes? I can do that anytime. No; it's a time to slow down and take one day out of our busy, chaotic lives to really appreciate everything we take for granted. For most, it's a time to come together as a family - thankfully in my family that's usually not a stressful situation as we usually don't have many relatives over anymore; it's just us.

It's not so bad to be alone on a holiday like today. It's not about the food (although, who wouldn't love a slice or three of pumpkin pie?) It's about self-reflection, which, maybe you can't do with a giant house full of relatives anyway... so perhaps I'm not missing out after all.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone.

No comments: