Thursday, September 10, 2009

Ireland!

For those of you who I didn’t get a chance to tell, I was offered a temporary design job in Ireland for a magazine called The Messenger. I promised I would update my blog as often as possible, with as many photos as possible, so here is my first Ireland post!

*I must also note, however, that I don’t have the internet in my place, so it appears that I will not be able to post as often as I had hoped, but I’ll do my best.









I arrived in Dublin after about 17 or so hours of travel, and about 30 hours of not sleeping, but surprisingly awake considering. I was picked up at the airport by my new co-worker. She drove me through Dublin a little bit (she usually doesn't go through Dublin because it’s out of the way to where we were headed, and there are several tolls that you have to pay) so that I could see it, and through a back way to get to the town, Arklow, where the design office is located, (and also where I am now living.)





Arklow is an average (for Ireland) sized suburb, with about 1200 people. I’m staying about a mile outside of the heart of town at a place called MoneyLands Farm. They set me up in this really nice 1-bedroom flat, which has everything I could possibly need, well, except maybe for the internet, but that’s really more a luxury than anything. I have a lovely little patio in the back of my flat where I can see the ocean through a gap in the trees. Unfortunately, there isn’t an easy way down to it from where I am. There is a giant field separating me from the ocean, and I’m guessing I would be trespassing if I tried to hike across it. There are roads down to it from the town, but I haven’t had a chance to figure out which road(s) it is.

MoneyLands:




My Flat:

(I took the blankets off of the other beds because it gets so cold at night)






(The back of the building)


(Sunrise over the ocean)


I’ve started working already. I’m working on a small but fun project designing a zine for the 125th anniversary of the GAA. If I can, I’ll post some pictures once it’s done.

The weather has been fabulous here the past 2 days, and it’s supposed to stay sunny and warm (mid 60’s) through out the weekend. But then I’m sure it will go back to rainy and grey, which, I really don’t mind so much. But I may have to invest in a pair of wellies, if I plan (which I do) to explore the fields around my new flat.









I suppose I should get going. As I say, I don’t have internet in my place, so I can only post during my lunch breaks. But I’ll try to post at least once a week.

Cheers!
K

No comments: