Thursday, July 9, 2009

4th of July weekend

Sorry this is a few days late. It's been a hectic week.. but, I have many photos to share with you to make up for my over-due post.

Well, for the 4th of July, I went home to spend a few days with my family and some dear friends who I haven't seen in ages, not to mention get in a very needed mental health break! I had a blast! (which I'm sure had something to do with the fact that most of my best friends were around) and it truly felt like a holiday. All of the holidays I've experienced so far here in SF haven't really felt the same.. probably because of the lack of fun decorations and family members.

Anyway, my home town always has a big 4th of July parade. It was a little rainy out this year, but not too bad. It was kind of nice actually. I don't think I could've handled 90 degree weather on my first day back.















The parade goes right along the street were both my old middle school and high school are. My middle school looked just like it always did.



However, I was a little shocked to see my old high school...



Apparently they decided it was a good idea to tear down the building and build an entirely new building right behind it.. even though they just spent hundreds of thousands repairing the old building over the past few years. Whatever. They are morons, I've always known this. I don't really care so much about that building. It was pretty dark and depressing, and only half of the rooms had air conditioning, which was awesome on those 90 degree days.. but either way, it was still kind of weird to see it in pieces.







After the parade, we had lunch at my sister's place, which was followed by cocktails and board games. Love it.



I met up with my friends shortly afterwards, and many more drinks and games ensued. Followed by a journey towards the town carnival and fireworks. They didn't seemed to go all out this year like they usually do (I suppose the recession is even hitting the firework committee) but it was still enjoyable nonetheless.











The next day I went to a park/reservation with my family, that isn't too far from our house. It's always a must-do when I go home, especially in the summer. It seemed like everyone and their mom was out that day on the lake. (too bad we don't have a boat too.. oh well)



















The rest of the time at home I either spent with my sister or my friends (usually drinking was involved) I had kind of been hoping for a bit more alone time, but I certainly don't regret spending the time with my friends, because who knows, it might be another 3 years before I see them... But I admit, I wasn't ready to leave. I seriously contemplated extending my trip another week. It was so nice to not have to worry about anything for a few days. To have more than one room to walk around in. To not be in front of a computer every moment of my waking life. To get away from people and the city. It was great. I think next time, I'll have to take a tent and just wander into the woods by myself for a day or two.

Until then, it's back to the grindstone.

No comments: