Tuesday, June 9, 2009

LA + The Enormous Tiny Art Show

This past weekend was a blast. As I stated in the previous post, Ryan and I headed down to LA to attend the group show I was apart of, the Enormous Tiny Art Show. We left pretty early on Friday morning and got to LAX with no problems. My friend Drew was gracious enough to come pick us up and drive us around before the show later that night.











What surprised me the most about LA/Hollywood was how beautiful it is. I'm sure you're reading this and thinking, "WHAT? LA beautiful? What the hell are you on?" but don't worry baby birds, I'll feed you.

After living not even an entire year in San Francisco, my perspective about pretty much everything has changed. I live in a tiny box, in a cement building, surrounded by cement, trash, and poop covered sidewalks. I have 3 trees in front of my building. 3. And a couple more are down the block in big pots (they aren't even planted into the ground) I have been to LA before, twice actually, and I suppose in retrospect I didn't think much about it, other than how bad getting stuck in rush hour sucks. But now, after living in SF, all I noticed was how clean Hollywood is, and how amazingly tropical it is. Just about every building there has plants surrounding it, and all of the houses have yards. The highways are surrounded by mountains covered in trees. And all I could think is, Wow. LA is beautiful. What? When did that happen? That happened after spending the past 8 months in San Francisco. That's fucked up. (for lack of a better expression) Now don't get me wrong, SF is beautiful in it's own right, but it doesn't change the fact that no one has a yard, unless you have millions of dollars and live in the Marina, and there are only three trees in front of my building.

Anyway, we had a few hours to kill before the show, so Drew took us to Gallery 1988, LA style.











Then we met up with Joe, Emily and her friend Micheal for dinner at this amazing Cuban restaurant. We shared a pitcher of Sangria and an array of appetizers.





Our tummies no longer rumbling, we headed over to the show. It was a pretty great turnout. Up until the point we left I hadn't sold anything yet, but that's alright. There's still plenty of time, and if all else fails, I can always re-use those frames. ha! Here are some photos from the opening.






























The next day Joe drove us out of the city a ways to take us to a remote beach he had been to a few times and really enjoyed. The beach was amazing! It was surrounded by rocky cliffs, that had little pockets cut out of them, forming mini-caves. We had a bit of an adventure maneuvering our way through a small cove to come out on an almost completely secluded beach on the other side. (there were only 2 other guys there) However, our lounging was cut short by the tide coming in. We were worried that we wouldn't get able to get back through to the other side with all of our stuff if we stayed put much longer. The waves crashing onto the rocks made it very difficult to walk back through. Joe's phone and wallet got soaked, and I lost my balance and plunged my hand holding my shoes into the water, but luckily I didn't drop them or fall in completely. It was worth the trek, even if I did have wet shoes for a few hours.











After we decided it was getting too cold to stay on the beach much longer, we headed back to Joe's to clean up. That night we went to an opening at the Sink Gallery (at least, I'm pretty sure that's what it's called.) It's a newer gallery, somewhere on Melrose. The opening included a live band, called The Last of the Blacksmiths. They're from San Francisco, and they were amazing. Folky and melodic. It was really quite beautiful.









That pretty much sums up our weekend. We didn't have much energy after the second opening, and crashed back at Joe's. The next day, we really only had time to gather our things, get in a quick farewell meal and drive to the airport. I would really like to go back sooner than later. LA was fun. I'll have to keep an eye out for any shows I can't miss and head back.

Well, I need to get going. I have quite a bit of work to be getting on with.

Cheers!
Karen

No comments: